How do you get started in a calligraphy business? I don’t have all the details, but I do know that you’ll need to determine exactly what you want to do with your skills. I thought I’d jot down the different kinds of ways we can apply our calligraphy.
- Create clipart and sell online through shutterstock.com, fotolia.com, istockphoto.com, and similar sites.
- Create custom gift pieces and sell online at etsy.com.
- Sell small services or pieces at fiverr.com.
- Create popular phrases and market them on mugs, apparel, and other gift items through zazzle.com and similar sites.
- Do personalized framed or unframed certificates, poetry, notes, letters, quotes.Do diplomas and degrees for learning institutions.
- Do wedding invitations and the associated paper pieces that go with it.
- Submit work for the movie industry.
- With knowledgeable graphic design skills, apply your calligraphy to full design services.
- Teach calligraphy classes or tutor individuals – post a job at http://www.guru.com/d/freelancers/q/calligraphy/
- Write how-to books on calligraphy.
- Create bound calligraphy art books or custom books.
- Produce calligraphy-related video(s) and sell on disc.
I thought I would do a quick search on the Internet for more ideas. I really hit the jackpot — this page has over 200 uses for calligraphy! http://www.willowrosevillage.com/WillowroseCalligraphy/uses.html
On this Reddit page, a calligrapher shares his (or her) insightful questions to ask regarding starting a calligraphy business: https://www.reddit.com/r/Calligraphy/comments/53umr3/question_business/
What would you do if you decided to practice calligraphy as a part-time or full-time business? How would you specialize?